Thursday, September 29, 2011

videos about awarness and observation


Eyewitness can sometimes cheat us.

Today in seminar class, we watched some interesting videos about different kinds of scene changing.  We tried our best to focus on something, but unfortunately we often lose some other amazing points. Some changes were fast, while some were slowly. Some changes even happened out of our minds. It’s really a fascinating experience.

In the first video, I did see the gorilla at the first time, but the reason why I could see it may be a little funny. I just can’t figure out exactly how many times the basketball has been kicked. Counting makes me crazy, and I give it up. Just on that moment, the gorilla appeared. I even screamed in low voice: “oh, what’s that?” But nobody respond to me, maybe they just focused on counting. When reviewing it, a lot people laughed. Maybe they were surprised how they could miss this clear part. It must be an interesting experience, but unfortunately, I missed it.  

We also watched videos like repeating changes, slow changes, and movie scene changes.

Repeating changes show two different but almost similar pictures repeating again and again. The video played very fast, and at first we were astonish to feel how it could end so quickly. It was too fast for us to find the differences. But soon we found the rule, and change became quiet clearly. This change may only confuse us at the first time. We became sensitive and not easy to be cheated.

Movie scene changes seem difficulty but actually easy to follow if you don’t focus on the dialogue or the story. It’s so funny to see the woman wear the necklace at the first view turning out to have a scarf around her neck in the next scene.

For me, I think the slow changes are the most difficult to figure out. I required reviewing the video again and again, but I could not find the rule. Once the picture changed, I will have difficult to discover what had changed in the picture. I must say I’m not sensitive about the changes turning out slowly.

We often have one hundred percent confidence at what we seeing, but through this interesting experience, we must admit that what we see sometimes could not be the truth.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol,

    Thanks for this detailed post! I enjoyed the funny story about how you managed to see the gorilla the first time:). Also, I really appreciated your final conclusions. We tend to think of the truth as absolute, but perhaps it's not always as evident as we believe.

    ReplyDelete